Dear Athlos Academy of Jefferson Parish Families,
We are gearing up for the new school year and can’t wait to see our students return to school! Let’s start the school year Athlos-style with a Prepared Mind, Zest, Optimism and Curiosity.
We want to communicate with all families regarding plans to keep our students and staff safe next school year, especially regarding COVID-19.
No distance/virtual Learning
Based on the feedback from parents there is a decreased interest in distance/virtual learning for 21-22 school year. Athlos Academy of Jefferson Parish will not offer distance/virtual learning next year. We surveyed current (2020-21) parents twice and found that most families planned to return in-person. Therefore, we will not offer distance/virtual learning.
The Louisiana Department of Education has continued work with the Louisiana Department of Health (LDH) and Children’s Hospital of New Orleans (CHNOLA) to review the latest CDC guidelines surrounding school operations. Our goal is to transition back to normal school routines as much as possible, while taking precautions to keep students and staff safe while following the LA Department of Health recommendations and the LDH Ready to Achieve! 2021-22 School Operational Guidelines.
Steps we are taking to keep children and adults safe include:
- While inside the school facility, all unvaccinated adults and students in grades 3 through 12 should wear a face covering to the greatest extent possible and practical.
- Students in grades K-2 will be encouraged to wear face coverings and their cohorts will remain the same to limit risk.
- While outdoors, all fully vaccinated and unvaccinated adults and students do not need to wear a face covering if they adhere to physical distancing requirements.
- Social distancing to the greatest extent possible, particularly at entry and exit points.
- We encourage families and employees to self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19.
- While daily temperature checks are no longer required, we plan to continue daily temperature checks at the beginning of the school year and adjust, as necessary.
- Rooms are cleaned daily, and teachers are provided with cleaning supplies.
- Hand sanitizer is provided and handwashing is encouraged.
- School nurse on-site provides health care for students.
- Buses will follow the executive orders requiring all passengers to wear face coverings. School buses may operate at 100% capacity if all passengers are masked. Windows should be kept open when it does not create a safety or health hazard.
- Water fountains will remain closed. Students and staff are encouraged to bring clear water bottles from home.
If you are a family who participated in distance/virtual learning last year and you have any questions regarding returning to school in-person, we encourage you to reach out to our school counselor or administrators.
We look forward to welcoming all families on-campus at the following events:
Welcome Back-to-School Open House
Saturday, July 24, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
Tour the school, meet students and staff and learn more about the Athlos model balancing athletics, academics and character. Enter to win a backpack full of free school supplies!
Monday, August 2, 5-7 p.m., K-2 grades
Tuesday, August 3, 5-7 p.m., 3-5 grades
Wednesday, August 4, 5-7 p.m., 6-8 grades
Your one-stop shop for Driveline numbers, parent handbooks, uniform try-on, supply drop-off and meet your child’s teacher!
979 Behrman Highway
Terrytown, LA 70056